Choosing a minor field of study is optional. A minimum of 15 semester hours of separate identifiable semester credits must be earned for each minor that is declared. The same course may not be used in a major and a minor or among multiple minors unless the course is a required course (not part of a “select” area) in both the major and the minor or among multiple minors.
- SOC 110 Principles of Sociology (3 credits)
- SOC 220 Social Problems (3 credits)
- SOC 304 Globalization (3 credits)
- SOC 334 Introduction to Sociological Research Methods (3 credits)
- SOC 392 Sociological Theory (3 credits)
- SOC 491 Sociology Minor Portfolio (1 credit)
Plus at Least Two of the Following (6 credits):
- SOC 240 Diversity in the United States
- SOC 347 Deviance and Social Control
- SOC 361 Marriage and Family
- SOC 363 Social Stratification
- SOC 381 Political Sociology
- At least nine of the credits applied toward a minor in sociology must be earned in courses numbered 300 or above.
- SOC 334 has a prerequisite of MATH 220 Elementary Statistics.
Explore Your Program
See course descriptions for your minor.
Keep up with registration deadlines, session dates, holiday breaks and exam schedules.
Learn about the resources available in Career Development.
UIU Locations for Minor in Sociology
We’re ready to help you every step of the way.
Academic Support Services
Providing resources to support you through your classes.